1/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp. The French Olive olive oil
4 celery stalks, finely chopped plus leaves from 1 bunch
2 red chilies (such as Fresno) seeded, finely chopped
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 – 15.5 cans chickpeas, rinsed
1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt, room temperature
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cup cilantro leaves with tender stems
1 lemon, halved
- Heat 1/3 c. olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Cook chilies and garlic, stirring often, until garlic is golden brown and crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer chilies, garlic,oil to a small bowl. Season with a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Wipe out the pot. Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil over medium heat. Add onion & celery, season with salt, cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, 5-7 minutes. Add broth, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low & add chickpeas. Simmer until chickpeas are warmed through and creamy but not mushy, about 5 minutes. Season with salt.
- Meanwhile, stir yogurt and a large pinch of salt in a small bowl.
- Toss cilantro & celery leaves in a medium bowl and squeeze lemon halves over, toss to coat. Season with salt.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top each with some yogurt, cilantro/celery salad, and reserved chile-garlic oil.
*Note: Any leftover chili-garlic oil can flavor seared fish, steamed rice or scrambled eggs.